Back in Quito!
Ayyyyyyy que viaje, I just want to live in the campo and work a cacao finca for the rest of my life, preferrably organic, and I would like some sort of association with a collective group because it offers more protection....
I am officially in love with Ecuador, though now I am torn between calling Chile my Latin American home or if Ecuador is more like it...Bua was amazing, I hope to update more details later but some highlights include-
- WARM WEATHER!
- bathing in a beautiful river all the time
- working in the finca with don freddy harvesting cacao
- relaxing in HAMMOCKS in the JUNGLE!
- transporting myself via truck beds
- finca sarita organica...AMAZING!!!
- all of the food prepared at the finca sarita from food grown on the finca...up to the oil!
- speaking with a cacao expert
- seeing a centro de acopio de cacao that's certified organic and free trade and talking with an employee
- seeing the tsachilas with whom i was living dance in a parade in santo domingo and in pedro vicente
-...the tsachila group winning first place in the pedro vicente competition!
- not dying when the 5 men i went to the finca with and a taxi driver and i all had a flat tire at 11:30 in the night and being stranded in the road...where a band of 30 dogs lived that had killed a woman the year before and no one had money on their cells to warn the owner that we were there and not robbers
- not catching malaria or dengue (i hope not at least) despite getting attacked by mosquitos
- sleeping in a tree house in manabi at the finca
- making chocolate from roasted cacao beans at the finca!
- the list goes on, but i'm off soon to meet up with some companeros from yanapuma to watch the futbol game tonight...
much love to everyone and i hope that your summers are passing as beautifully as mine!
besos
M
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What's a finca? What are some of the other
Spanish words? It is just so great to hear about your summer so far. A hammock in the jungle-que rico!
Are the cacao beans hard to pick? How do you know when they are ready? Do they need to be roasted like coffee? Can't wait to hear more! Enjoy your time with electricity and all.
1. I had a peer the first day of work.
2. I had a pooper the second day of work.
3. Both denied it and we're not legally allowed to take off the kids' pants.
4. The club smells funny.
5. I put up the sentence "What foods help you stay healthy?" on the board for my Healthy Habits program, and my first kid said, "water chestnuts?"
6. Nichole pretended she fainted in the gym when she tripped during Capture the Flag and then walked around with her hand on her forehead for the rest of the day.
7. I asked one kid what color whole-grain foods normally are, and he said "purple?" Then later at snack, all my kids ate only the dark brown parts in their Gardettos for snack because they were convinced they were whole-grain and the healthiest.
8. One of my kids was brainstorming vegetables with his group, and he came up to me saying could he write the Spanish instead of English because he didn't know the English word. I said sure, but what's the word? He said "karate." All I could think of was maybe he made up a Spanish word for carrot? Because that's not really a word.
Come back hooooooooooome
Post a Comment